Saturday, July 26, 2008

Joe Nocera weighs in

Joe Nocera in today’s New York Times (July 26) pretty much echoes what I wrote earlier this week, with more information about Steve Jobs’ health than I could ever have learned. Of course, he has better sources and a full-time job that enables him the luxury of doing some serious digging. Note that one of his sources is none other than Jobs himself - albeit off the record.

Yet in nearly 1700 words, he doesn’t mention the succession issue, which I find odd. If Nocera is so concerned about Apple shareholders, whose interest in Jobs' health is a legitimate concern, you'd think he would castigate the board for being so slipshod in its fiduciary responsibility of developing a CEO succession strategy.

Bottom line: I find it encouraging, if we are to believe what Nocera writes about his off-the-record conversation with Jobs, that the cancer has not returned.

Anyway, it’s an interesting read for those of you following this story.


(Full disclosure department: I am an Apple shareholder. But I am also a long-time Apple and Macintosh devotee.)

No comments: